Latest information about COVID-19

Academy of Art University
Go to home page
Preparing for Arrival

Preparing for Arrival

We're excited to welcome you to campus housing, your home away from home! Whether it’s your first time living on campus or if you’re a seasoned resident, campus housing has something for everyone!

Are You Ready to Move In?

Move in day is busy & exciting! Help make the move in process quick and easy by reviewing and completing the tasks below.

Move In Check List:

  • Pay housing rent and meal plan in full
  • Housing deposit is at $500.00
  • Verify Financial Aid will cover your housing costs (if applicable)
  • Undergraduate & Graduate students are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 3 units on-campus or online per term to live in housing
  • Have proof of health insurance (Please bring a copy of your health insurance card to check in)
  • Read the Guide to Campus Housing
  • Move In Dates & Times
  • Parking Garage Locations – Visit the SFMTA Garages & Lots page for a comprehensive list of San Francisco parking lots and garages.

Important Documents – Please Review!

Furniture Included in Your Room

Housing provides each resident with the following basic furnishings: Twin mattress, bed frame (most of the beds are bunk beds), drafting table, stool, mobile drawer unit, desk lamp, closet space or armoire unit.

Make a Rent Payment

To make a rent payment, log on to the Student Self Service Portal with your username and password. You may also make a rent payment by calling Accounts Receivable at 1-800-544-2787 or 1-415-274-2200 (from outside the USA).

Register for Full time Coursework

All students in campus housing must be registered as full time students in order to be eligible (and maintain eligibility) for campus housing. Full time status for undergraduate students is 9 credits, 6 credits for graduate students. Please contact your academic advisor or register online via the Student Self Service Portal if you haven’t registered for classes.

Health/Medical Insurance

Resident students living in campus housing are required to have health/medical insurance. Proof of coverage will be verified during check in. Please bring a copy of your health/medical insurance card.

For more information, please visit the Academy of Art University Health Net Student Health Plan page.

What to Bring to Campus Housing

Twin bed sheets and comforters, towels, pillows, toiletry items, alarm clock, clothes hangers, hair dryer, laundry bag/basket, laundry detergent, iron, ironing board, shower shoes and caddy, umbrella, first aid items, flashlight, school/academic supplies, computer.

Residents living in apartment buildings should also bring kitchen utensils, eating utensils, cookware, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, trash bags, and paper towels.

There is limited space to store items and clothing within each room, so please be mindful of what you decide to bring to campus. All of your items and clothing from home won’t fit in your residence hall room.

What NOT to Bring to Campus Housing

The following items are prohibited in University housing: water beds, lofted beds, microwave ovens, television/radio antennae placed outside the room/exterior of the building or adjacent grounds, weapons (as specified under “Weapons” under Section CP.3 above), CO2 hazardous chemicals, gasoline, wax candles (with or without a wick), incense, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia (see Section CP.2 above), hookahs, bongs or other smoking devices, alcoholic beverages, alcohol containers/bottles/cans, automobiles, or vehicles of any kind (or parts, repair tools), accessories for any vehicle, air conditioners, dart boards, halogen lamps, sun lamps, space heaters without a safety feature, weight lifting equipment, live holiday decorations (including string lights), and inflatable pools.

Hot plates, barbecues, coffee makers, toasters, toaster ovens, rice cookers and non-open coiled sandwich/meat grillers, such as a Foreman Grill, waffle iron, or panini press machine, are not permitted within Student’s room. Student is only permitted to bring a refrigerator and/or microwave for a room/unit in which these appliances have not been provided by the University in common areas or kitchens.

Motorized vehicles (including but not limited to motorcycles, mopeds, Hoverboards, self-balancing scooter boards, two-wheeled scooters, Segways, carts, etc.) may not be operated, charged, or stored inside any residence hall. The University reserves the right to determine that an item not mentioned above is prohibited, and to remove or confiscate any and all prohibited items.

The University claims no responsibility for confiscated items. Approved appliances must be UL (Underwriters Laboratories) approved. Only power strips equipped with circuit breakers, surge suppression, and a construction grade cord with a grounded third prong may be used in Student’s room.

Please keep in mind, there is no move in assistance (rolling carts or handcarts) provided during move in/out. Students are encouraged to bring only what they need for the semester.

Get to Know Campus Housing

Get to Know Campus Housing