Preparing for Arrival

Were excited to welcome you to campus housing, your home away from home! Whether it’s your first time living on campus or if you’re a seasoned resident, campus housing has something for everyone!

Are You Ready to Move In?

Move in day is busy & exciting! Help make the move in process quick and easy by reviewing and completing the tasks below.

Move In Check List:

  • Pay housing rent and meal plan in full
  • Housing deposit is at $500.00
  • Verify Financial Aid will cover your housing costs (if applicable)
  • Register for full time coursework (12 credits undergraduate/9 graduate)
  • Have proof of health insurance (Please bring a copy of your health insurance card to check in)
  • Read the Guide to Campus Housing

Important Documents – Please Review!

Furniture Included in Your Room

Housing provides each resident with the following basic furnishings: Twin extra-long (XL) mattress, bed frame (most of the beds are bunk beds), drafting table, stool, mobile drawer unit, desk lamp, closet space or armoire unit.

Make a Rent Payment

To make a rent payment, log on to the Student Self Service Portal with your username and password.  You may also make a rent payment by calling Accounts Receivable at 1-800-544-2787 or 1-415-274-2200 (from outside the USA).

Register for Full time Coursework

All students in campus housing must be registered as full time students in order to be eligible (and maintain eligibility) for campus housing. Full time status for undergraduate students is 12 credits, 9 credits for graduate students.  Please contact your academic advisor or register online via the Student Self Service Portal if you haven’t registered for classes.

Health/Medical Insurance

Resident students living in campus housing are required to have health/medical insurance. Proof of coverage will be verified during check in. Please bring a copy of your health/medical insurance card.

For more information for Academy of Art University Aetna Student Health Plan, please visit the following link:

What to Bring to Campus Housing

Extra-long (XL) twin bed sheets and comforters (most beds are XL), towels, pillows, toiletry items, alarm clock, clothes hangers, hair dryer, laundry bag/basket, laundry detergent, iron, ironing board, shower shoes and caddy, umbrella, first aid items, flashlight, school/academic supplies, computer, Ethernet cord (if you live in the Bluxome St. Lofts).

Residents living in apartment buildings should also bring kitchen utensils, eating utensils, cookware, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, trash bags, and paper towels.

There is limited space to store items and clothing within each room, so please be mindful of what you decide to bring to campus. All of your items and clothing from home won’t fit in your residence hall room.

What NOT to Bring to Campus Housing

The following items are prohibited in University housing: water beds, lofted beds, microwave ovens, television/radio antennae placed outside the room/exterior of the building or adjacent grounds, weapons (as specified under “Weapons” under Section CP.3 of the Housing License Agreement), CO2 hazardous chemicals, gasoline, candles (with or without a wick), incense, illegal drugs (see Section CP.2 of the Housing License Agreement), drug paraphernalia, hookahs, bongs or other smoking devices, alcoholic beverages, alcohol containers/bottles/cans, automobiles, or vehicles of any kind (or parts, repair tools), accessories for any vehicle, air conditioners, dart boards, halogen lamps, sun lamps, space heaters, weight lifting equipment, and live holiday decorations (including string lights), and inflatable pools. Additionally, outside furniture that is not provided by the University is prohibited in the Residence Halls.

The University reserves the right to determine that an item not mentioned above is prohibited, and to remove or confiscate any and all prohibited items. The University claims no responsibility for confiscated items. Approved appliances must be UL (Underwriters Laboratories) approved. Only power strips equipped with circuit breakers, surge suppression, and a construction grade cord with a grounded third prong may be used in Student’s room.

Please keep in mind, there is no move in assistance (rolling carts or handcarts) provided during move in/out. Students are encouraged to bring only what they need for the semester.

Get to Know Campus Housing

View the Directory