Latest information about COVID-19

Academy of Art University
Go to home page
Military FAQs

Military FAQs

Get answers to your frequently asked questions below.

May I use my VA benefits at your school?

Academy of Art University is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students enrolled in our degree programs for benefits under Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty); Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill – Active Duty and the Fry Scholarship); Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation); Chapter 35 (Veteran’s Spouses or Dependents); Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve); and Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program). Eligibility and chapter is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs

What do I need to do to start using my GI Bill?

If you have not applied for your education benefit, you may go to and click on “apply for benefits”; you will be completing Form 22-1990e.

VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) once they have approved you for your education benefit.

We request that you email us a copy of your COE once you receive it.

How do I know if I am eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program?

VA determines all eligibility. To be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program you must be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% eligibility rate (active duty members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon).

You may call VA to confirm if you are Yellow Ribbon eligible: 1-888-442-4551.

Is there a Yellow Ribbon application/form? Is there enough room for new Yellow Ribbon students?

No, there isn’t a Yellow Ribbon application or form to complete at our school to participate in this program. We do request that you submit a copy of your COE and your DD214 and that you confirm with VA that you are eligible for this program if you haven’t already done so.

Yes, currently our school has room for Yellow Ribbon students.

What educational programs are approved by the VA?

To obtain a list of approved educational programs, please click here to access the Web Enabled Approval Management System (WEAMS) website and search for “Academy of Art University,” then click Submit. Once you select the school name, click “Programs” on the right-hand column and click on “Institution of Higher Learning” for a list of approved programs. This list is regularly maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs. You may call Military Admissions (415-618-8551) if you have questions.

My parent was in the military, am I eligible to receive VA education benefits?

Please call VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 to confirm if you are eligible.

What do I need to do to start using Tuition Assistance (TA)?

You will need to get in touch with your admission representative or academic advisor here at our school and request an Academic Plan.

You will take the Academic Plan to your Education Office at your unit to get approved.

Once you are approved, you will be supplied with a TA Authorization Form. We need this form to receive your TA funds. Please email ( or fax (1-415-618-6273) Attn: School Certifying Official.

How much will Tuition Assistance cover?

The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform TA fiscal policy across the military services. Currently, the established semester hour cap is $250 and has an annual ceiling of $4,500.

TA covers a total of $750 for one class (3 units). That will not be enough to cover the entire cost of one class.

You may use financial aid, enroll in our payment plan option, utilize other education benefits from other sources, and/or pay the difference out of pocket.

I used my GI Bill at another school, what do I need to do to transfer it to this school?

You must submit VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) through VONAPP at Once VA processes your request, they should mail you an updated COE. We request that you fax or email us a copy.

How do I know if my benefit will cover all of my tuition and fees?

There are different types of VA education benefits and eligibility, some benefits are paid directly to the student, some benefits are sent directly to the school to be applied to tuition cost, some benefits may cover all of tuition, and some won’t. We encourage you to email us a copy of your COE or contact us so that we can guide you regarding your specific eligibility. Our email address is

I am eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, will I receive a BAH if I am a part-time student?

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is not payable to part-time students. You must be enrolled more than part-time to be eligible.

I will be taking all of my classes online, will my BAH be based on your school location?

No, in order to receive BAH based on our school location (zip code), you must take at least one class here on campus. If all of your classes are online you will receive an exclusive online BAH rate.

Students enrolled in exclusive online training should be eligible for a monthly housing allowance equal to 50% of the national average of all basic allowances for housing.

Remember that to be eligible for BAH you must be enrolled more than part-time.

How do I submit my enrollment verification to the VA?

We, the school, submit your enrollment information to the VA for you. We begin submitting enrollment information to the VA approximately one month before school starts. Should you need us to submit your enrollment sooner, please contact us at

Is there any other paperwork I need to submit besides my COE?

Yes, all students using VA education benefits are required to submit a Student Bill of Rights.

Has Academy of Art University signed the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DoD MOU)?

Yes, Academy of Art University has signed the DoD MOU.

How do I access my claims for Veterans Education Benefits and Vocational Rehabilitation benefits?

You can access your claims via the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP).

How do I verify my enrollment with the VA online?

You can verify your enrollment with the VA via the VA’s Web Automated Verification of Enrollment website.GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at